Pre-encased sausage in grocery stores are often laiden with preservatives to keep flavors stable until being cooked and served at home. Why not skip the preservatives and use spices from your own pantry for freshly flavored breakfast sausage?
Our two little boys love these sausage patties for breakfast, so we do not add any heat. However, if you prefer some kick, feel free to add 1/8 tsp of cayenne or to taste.
- 1 lb quality ground pork (unseasoned)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried ground sage
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp onino powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
- Mix all spices together in a bowl
- Add ground pork and mix thoroughly
- Divide into 12 pieces, roughly the size of ping pong balls
- Smash into patties and pan fry until cooked through, or 165 degrees at the center
- Alternatively, fry it all up for ground sausage crumbles to use in breakfast casserole, sausage gravy, or omelets.